ESWA is looking to recruit transcribers to support us with our research project Accessing Justice.
The transcribers will support us by transcribing interviews that our member organisations have conducted in their country. We need transcribers who are fluent in one (or more) of the following languages:
UPDATE: French and Spanish are now filled. We are still seeking applications who speak the remaining languages!
Over the course of the research project, each organisation will complete 20 interviews. The interviews will be 1 hour - 90 minutes long. We will firstly upload the audio file of each interview into a transcription software. We then need the transcriber to check the accuracy of the transcription before the ESWA team translates it into English. We may also need assistance checking the validity of the English translation.
The transcriber will need to sign a confidentiality agreement to protect the anonymity of our participants. We estimate that reviewing each interview will take an equal amount of time as the interview (for example, a one-hour interview will take you one hour). You do not need to be able to complete all 20 interviews in order to apply. The interview timeline is as follows:
- 3 interviews to be transcribed by the end of 2022, in each language above
- 17 languages in the summer of 2023 (estimated May - Aug), in each language above
Sex working experience / experience with sex working terms are preferred, but not necessary. Unfortunately for confidentiality reasons we cannot accept applications from people who have taken part as a research participant. We do have a small budget available for this; please indicate your rate in your application. However, if you are an ally and would like to donate your time for free (or at a reduced rate), we would greatly appreciate this in order to keep our costs down.
To apply for this, please send an email to our Research Officer Charlie Dominic: [email protected]
Please use the Subject line Transcriber Application and in your email indicate:
- Your native language
- What country you are based in
- Your experience of transcription work
- Your relationship to the sex work community (are you an ally? Are you/have you been a sex worker?) Priority will be given to sex workers if possible.
- The language you can transcribe in (see list above)
- Your capacity. Are you able to commit to the entire duration of the research project? If not, what is your availability?
- What your fee is (please indicate both per minute and per hour rate)
- If you consent to signing a confidentiality agreement
If you have any questions, you can contact Charlie. Please also circulate this call within your networks!