The European Sex Workers’ Rights Alliance is recruiting an Operations Officer to join our small team (remotely, in Europe) for an initial period of 4 months (September-December 2023) with the possibility of contract renewal.
The aim of this post is to ensure the smooth running of ESWA operations – administration, financial management, donor reporting and members sub-granting and that national partners are supported in the financial management of programmes funded through ESWA.
Candidates must be based in a country in Europe or Central Asia. The work requires a combination of strong interpersonal and writing skills as well as financial planning and management skills. To plan and deliver on this work the postholder will need to work closely with the Executive Director, Director of Programmes, donors and other ESWA team members as required.
This post will support the work of the ESWA in maintaining robust administration and financial systems which underpin the organisation's ability to implement advocacy and programmes efficiently and advance the human rights and health of sex workers in all their diversity.
We strongly encourage migrant, racialised, women and trans sex workers to apply for the post. ESWA is also committed to building a movement led by sex workers and will aim to build capacities of the post holder where necessary.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Work with the Executive Director and Director of Programmes to produce organisational and donor budgets on an annual basis ensuring alignment with annual work plans submitted to donors.
- Manage donor contracts and track income, expenditure, and deliverables for each contract.
- Overview and manage all contracts/leases, direct debits, incoming bills, invoices and expense claims.
- Monitor all outgoing invoices and track and reconcile incoming payments providing a basic income and expenditure report monthly for the Treasurer to present to the Board.
- Ensure an efficient paper trail is maintained for all ESWA financial transactions.
- Manage staff contracts and payroll for all ESWA team members.
- Manage consultants’ contracts (Letters of Agreement and Minutes of Understanding) and track payments and deliverables.
- Monitor expenditure against approved annual budgets on a monthly basis, raising any concerns with the Executive Director and Director of Programmes and providing quarterly cash flow projections.
- Manage and monitor ESWA bank accounts and report any irregularities to the Executive Director and Director of Programmes.
- Work with the accountant in preparing end-of-year accounts for annual audits and provide required documentation for both organisational and donor-specific audits.
- Prepare donor financial reports as required, and work with the Executive Director and Director of Programmes to ensure narrative reporting is aligned with financial reporting.
- Other Tasks assigned by the Executive Director and Director of Programmes from time to time and reasonably falling within the scope of the post.
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- Knowledge and working experience with Microsoft Office, including Word and Excel.
- Experience in bookkeeping and financial management reporting to multiple donors. Knowledge and experience of EU funding are welcome.
- Experience in maintaining accessible electronic and paper filing systems and keeping accurate and legible records.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including the ability to communicate in plain English and produce written minutes, compelling presentations, and coherent reports.
- Experience in and ability to develop, implement, monitor and prioritise work, solve emerging problems and manage own time and workload effectively to demanding deadlines and under pressure.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills within multilingual environments, including the ability to communicate effectively face-to-face and via teleconferences, telephone and email.
- An innovative and flexible approach and a commitment to team working with good organisational skills and the ability to solve problems and motivate those around you.
- Ability to recognise and develop professional and personal boundaries.
Applicants must have the ability to read, write, speak and understand English fluently. An ability to communicate in French, Spanish or Russian is desirable but not essential.
ESWA team is composed of 7 members working remotely from various European countries. The post holder will be hired as a consultant and can work remotely from any European country. The Consultancy fee is 2,500 euros/month for an average of approximately 4 days /week. As a self-employed consultant, the postholder is required to cover their own social security contributions.
HOW TO APPLY
The deadline to apply is August 18th 2023.
Interviews will take place in the first week of September 2023.